Type-level error messages

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Oct 22 16:47:52 UTC 2015

I’ve forgotten the state of your type-level error messages work.  How’s it going?
I think we should try to add it to 8.0.1.  The current status is that the idea is implemented on a branch.  Then, there were some comments and suggestions that maybe we should do things in a different way, implementation wise.  I haven't had a chance to look into these in detail, or implement them, and as far as I know nobody else has stepped up to make the changes.  So we could simply go with the current version, and if for some reason we want to change the implementation we could do it later, as I don't think the API will be affected in any way.    When do the changes need to happen by, so that it makes it in 8.0?   I have been a bit busy, but I could probably find some time to make whatever changes are required for this to be merged.

OK good!  In that case

·         Add it to the hoped-for features in the GHC 8.01. status page

·         Write a wiki page with a specification

·         Announce the proposal and seek feedback

·         Meanwhile make sure the branch reflects what you want to be in it

If you don’t have time, well, no harm done… any progress you make on the above will still be useful.

Simon

I think we should try to add it to 8.0.1.  The current status is that the idea is implemented on a branch.  Then, there were some comments and suggestions that maybe we should do things in a different way, implementation wise.  I haven't had a chance to look into these in detail, or implement them, and as far as I know nobody else has stepped up to make the changes.  So we could simply go with the current version, and if for some reason we want to change the implementation we could do it later, as I don't think the API will be affected in any way.    When do the changes need to happen by, so that it makes it in 8.0?   I have been a bit busy, but I could probably find some time to make whatever changes are required for this to be merged.

-Iavor

I’ve forgotten the state of your type-level error messages work.  How’s it going?
It’s not mentioned on https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.0.1: shouldn’t it be?