Building stage1 only

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 13:19:02 UTC 2015

> Out of sheer curiosity: in what situations does that happen for you? *If* you
> are working on a single branch, ie. you're not switching back and forth
> between master and your feature branches, this should not happen (and even if
> you switch between branches it should still be safe for most of the time).

I'm actually swtiching branches quite a lot, because most of the time I have
multiple tasks at hand, working on multiple tickets etc.

But I think there's another way to introduce this kind of failures. Since
compilation take very long, I never start the build process and wait until it's
done, I keep coding in the meantime. Maybe I should rsync changes manually to
another directory and run build there while I keep working on current tree etc.

I just tried `make 1` in ghc directory and I think it worked(I'll try on a
clean tree once I have to `make clean` and see if it's really building only
stage-1). But my next question is why marking it as such in build.mk doesn't
work.. I'd expect `devel1` to build stage1 only.