Building stage1 only

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Tue Oct 20 07:12:02 UTC 2015

> it's very easy to end up in a state where `make` simply can't build, and only
> easy fix is a `make clean`
Out of sheer curiosity: in what situations does that happen for you? *If* you are working on a
single branch, ie. you're not switching back and forth between master and your feature branches,
this should not happen (and even if you switch between branches it should still be safe for most
of the time). Richard already gave you a trick (cd ghc/ && make 2) that allows to build only
stage 2 compiler without rebuilding stage 1 or any of the libraries. One situation that comes to
my mind that can really require a full rebuild is changing format of interface files. But other
than that you shouldn't have to do a full rebuild too often.

I know how you feel. When I started working on GHC I had to do a full rebuild very often. But now
I improved my workflow and only do a full build after a major rebase of my branch against master.

Janek

---
Politechnika Łódzka
Lodz University of Technology

Treść tej wiadomości zawiera informacje przeznaczone tylko dla adresata.
Jeżeli nie jesteście Państwo jej adresatem, bądź otrzymaliście ją przez pomyłkę
prosimy o powiadomienie o tym nadawcy oraz trwałe jej usunięcie.

This email contains information intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient or if you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender and delete it from your system.