"Excuse me, I think this i my stop..." - Resigning from the Platform

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 13 09:39:58 UTC 2015

Mark

You have given a lot to the Haskell community through your steady leadership of the Haskell Platform, and I want to add my personal thank-you for that.  The Haskell community flourishes only because volunteers step up to the (not always comfortable) tasks of developing consensus and then actually getting the job done.  You have done this brilliantly – thank you.

I know that your concerns reflect those of many.   In the olden days when Haskell was a university research language, we could change it whenever we wanted and no one minded. But now it is used for lots of things, and people rightly complain about changes.  Moreover, thoughtful and intelligent people differ in their judgement about what is and is not a good change.

These are nice problems to have: they reflect a large, passionate, committed community of people who care about the language, its ecosystem, and its users.

But of course they are still challenging problems!  There is a genuine tension between innovation and change (which make Haskell so dynamic), and dependability and stability (which make it useful).

I’m sure we will not always get it right.  But it is my earnest hope that by respecting genuine differences of judgement, by being willing to see the world through others’ eyes, by being willing to accept a choice that is not our own – in short, by expressing true respect in our dealings with each other – we will be able to work together on a journey in which none of us knows the True Path.

So I’m very sorry to lose you as the driver of the HP train, but do hope you won’t get off the train altogether!

With true thanks

Simon