"Excuse me, I think this i my stop..." - Resigning from the Platform

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 03:43:14 UTC 2015

Thanks Mark for all your work over the years! Haskell has the adoption it does today in no small part because of your work in making sure it has been consistently easy to install over a range of systems. You’ve put many years and long hours into the work you’ve done as release manager, and we all appreciate it.

I certainly suspect the applicatipocalypse is less around-the-bend than you perhaps prophesy (sorry, couldn’t resist). But as they say, horses for courses. I look forward to catching up with you at those meetups and conferences.

Everyone else: I’m happy to step in for the immediate time being as release manager to bring to completion the minimal-platform-with-cabal-and-stack plans (aka “Improving the Get Haskell Experience” proposal). I’ve already started to do so a very tiny bit, helping with a new OS X release to help with compatibility with El Capitan. I also want to note that lots of contributions lately have been coming courtesy of  Randy Polen and Erik Rantapaa in particular, so we have some great resources to build on.

Especially medium term and long term more volunteers will be very welcome (I certainly can’t imagine remaining “Mr. Platform” for as many tireless years as Mark has). A fair amount of the work I plan to spend on platform stuff in the immediate future will be to take the good work Mark has done in making easier the platform build and release process and further document it. The end goal should be that, at least for the foreseeable future, the release manager job should become straightforward and demystified enough that passing the baton becomes easier yet.

If you have experience with installers in either the Windows or Mac world and would like to get involved (maybe just as a voice of experience and wisdom) please reach out to me and let me know. Alternately, if you have a friend with such experience, and you think you could convince them to lend a hand, perhaps suggest to them that they reach out to me :-P. Also, if you have either a range of boxes (or hardware with images of different flavors of systems) and some time to act as a tester — please reach out as well. A designated team of installer-testers would be a good thing as well.

Best,
Gershom