ok to do reformatting commits?

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 03:14:41 UTC 2015

When I was doing a recent patch, I was annoyed by lint errors about
>80 lines when I was just conforming to the existing style.  To avoid
cluttering my commit with unrelated changes, I decided to fix the
lints in a formatting-only commit afterwards.  Looking in the
archives, I see there was some recent discussion about this, but I
didn't see anyone volunteering to just go wrap a bunch of files, or
saying that they didn't want anyone to do this (usual reason being
cluttering the history, which as a rationale to not do formatting only
changes never sat too well with me).

Would anyone mind if I went and wrapped a bunch of files, say
typecheck/*.hs?  This seems simpler than either constant hassling from
arc or coming up with more elaborate rules for arc.  I would have to
make some formatting decisions, so likely to some eyes I would be
messing some stuff up, but since there's no real standard that is
probably unavoidable.