Remote GHCi

Sumit Sahrawat, Maths & Computing, IIT (BHU) sumit.sahrawat.apm13 at iitbhu.ac.in
Tue Nov 17 10:47:36 UTC 2015

Hi Simon,

IHaskell <https://github.com/gibiansky/IHaskell> makes use of
dynCompileExpr to evaluate code provided by the user, so that the result
can be sent to the frontend to be displayed.

I don't think we can make it work without using dynCompileExpr, Andrew
would have more to say about this.

On 17 November 2015 at 16:10, Alan & Kim Zimmerman <alan.zimm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This fits in directly with what I am trying to do for the
> haskell-ide-engine, where the intention is to expose ghci via an
> asynchronous process with communication via message passing.
>
> A bonus would be to have two separate interfaces, one for REPL interaction
> for the user, the other to be able to query properties of the loaded code.
>
> I am currently investigating exposing Behavior and RunTerm from haskeline
> to create a message passing backend instead.
>
> Alan
> On 17 Nov 2015 12:11 PM, "Simon Marlow" <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks - I've been thinking about changing the way we run interpreted
>> code so that it would be run in a separate process.  It turns out this has
>> quite a few benefits, and would let us kill some of the really awkward
>> hacks we have in GHC to work around problems that arise because we're
>> running interpreted code and the compiler on the same runtime.
>>
>> I summarised the idea here:
>> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/RemoteGHCi
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts around this,
>> particularly if doing this would make your life difficult in some way. Are
>> people relying on dynCompileExpr for anything?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon

Regards

Sumit Sahrawat