wither the Platform

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 14:27:38 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> But that is true of GHC as well. We need to stop having the attitude of
> "Platform is for newcomers / GHC is for heavyweights". It is perfectly fine
> to announce "GHC 7.10.1 is out - you can install it from Platform 7.10.1
> which is a complete installer for your OS with core and standard libraries,
> and tools; or if you prefer you can get the minimal binary compiler build.
> As always, not all packages on Hackage will be compatible." Then our
> recommendations on to users on IRC are about which version is best for
> their needs, not "don't install platform, you won't be able to get lens to
> compile..."

The lens package (alongside every other package I maintain that is incurred
as a dependency of lens) has very deliberately support all Haskell Platform
releases for at least 3 current major GHC releases, often at great expense
to the API.

No offense, but I don't think lens is the culprit here.

-Edward