wither the Platform

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 26 09:36:04 UTC 2015

|  2. Less diversity in new GHC features: The GHC developers have generally
|  aimed new features at a future release, where the existence and stability
|  of new features has driven their incorporation. It was assumed that the
|  Platform would eventually catch up. If the GHC release and the
|  corresponding Platform release are simultaneous, then some GHC features
|  may need to be pushed out to the following release so there is time for
|  the Platform to be adapted.
|  3. The GHC development process will need to become more phased:
|  Experimentation with new features will still be encouraged, but adoption
|  of the new features will need to be gated to correspond with what the
|  Platform can implement. (This is really another view of issue 2.)

I'm not sure that's true.  We try hard not to break backward compatibility with new features.  So a new GHC/HP release might have new features in GHC that are simply un-exploited by the HP libraries. That's fine!

By far the biggest backward-compat issues are related to changes in the libraries themselves, rather than new features.