MFP updates: ideas worth discussing

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:33:31 UTC 2015

There is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction that we should go to something
simpler than Monad as a superclass constraint for MonadFail, but I think
most of those reasons fall apart or at least lose much of their weight upon
deeper inspection.

Ultimately, I'm a not concerned about interactions between ApplicativeDo
notation and fail.

Any automatic desugaring into 'fail' will be in a context which is
necessarily incurring a monad constraint.

E.g.

do
   Just x <- m

has to pick up the Monad constraint anyways to deal with the binding!

This leaves only code that does something like.

foo = x <*> fail y

which is hand written to invoke fail.

Given that the entire "tree" of the Applicative" is available for
inspection and that that fail can't depend on any context internal to the
Applicative and remain 'just Applicative' I have a hard time foreseeing any
real applications lost by continuing to assume a context of:

class Monad m => MonadFail m

and there is a lot of value in the simple context.

Most of the value in ApplicativeDo notation comes from the opportunities
for increased parallelism, not so much from the reduced constraints on the
resulting code, and as we can see above, it'll never arise during the
desguaring in a place that wouldn't incur a Monad constraint anyways.

Even getting rid of the Monad constraint w/ ApplicativeDo is going to
require gymnastics around `return`.

-Edward

P.S. On an unrelated note, for the record, I'm very strongly +1 on a
MonadFail instance for IO. There we use throwIO explicitly, so it is even
able to be handled and caught locally. The set of things you can do in IO
is large enough to support and reason about explicit failure.

P.P.S. I think if we extend the proposal to include an explicit member of
the class for pattern match failure with the code we currently have lurking
in the compiler for producing the string from the context, then most of the
concerns raised by folks who would prefer to use a heavier weight -- but
vastly harder to standardize -- exception mechanism would also be addressed
in practice.