expanding type synonyms in error messages

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Tue Jun 16 19:44:43 UTC 2015

GHC tries hard to preserve type synonyms where possible, but of course, it can't preserve all of them. The general rule it tries to follow is: preserve vanilla type synonyms; expand type families. This is true both in expected types and actual types.
If you have a case where you believe that GHC could preserve a type synonym in an expected type, submit a bug report. (Note that constraint synonyms are particularly hard to preserve!)

It would be very easy to report both the synonym-preserving form and the expanded form in an error report, at the cost of making error reports even more verbose. You're welcome to submit a feature request, and this would likely make a good first patch to GHC if you want to get your hands dirty. I'd personally prefer the feature to be protected behind a flag (to avoid seeing that `String` expands to `[Char]` everywhere, for example), but others may feel differently here.

Richard