Playing with the profiler

Sergei Trofimovich slyich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 12:35:31 UTC 2015

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 23:20:30 +0000
Luís Gabriel <lampih at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm doing some experiments with the GHC time profiler and I need to add a
> new field to the Cost Centre structures. I managed to add the field in the
> *CCS.h* header as well as in *codeGen/StgCmmProf.hs* but for some reason
> the program is crashing during garbage collection.
>
> As I have no experience with the GHC internals, I'm having trouble to find
> the problem. It would be very nice if someone could give me some clue to
> find this bug.
>
> The patch on GHC as well as the test sample and stack traces can be found
> here: https://gist.github.com/luisgabriel/39d51cf4d661c7e62e22

I tried your patch as-is on current ghc-HEAD/amd64 and it works fine.
(might easily be another problem)

What I am suspicious about is you are using
    '-prof -debug' and plain 'ghc'.

Could it be that you didn't add
    GhcRTSWays += debug_p
in your build.mk after a patch was tweaked last time
and some old runtime against new ghc was used?

I usually use inplace/bin/ghc-stage2 right
after compilation without installation.

--

  Sergei