Clarification of HsBang and isBanged

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Sun Jan 11 22:56:03 UTC 2015

OK, so one thing I failed to explain in the comment is this: for imported DataCons, the dcSrcBangs field is precisely the [HsImplBang] decisions computed when compiling the defining module.

So if the defining module was compiled with –O –funbox-strict-fields, GHC will make one set of choices.  Those [HsImplBang] choices are recorded in the IfaceBangs in the interface file. Those IfaceBangs in turn get put back into the dcSrcBangs field of the DataCon constructed by TcIface when reading the interface file.

So when the dcSrcBangs are in fact HsImpBangs, they should be followed slavishly, because the decisions have already been taken.  Even if the –O or –funbox-strict-fields flags differ in the importing module from the defining module.

I’ve rewritten the comment below.

Maybe the field should not be called dcSrcBangs but dcOrigBangs?

Simon

{- Note [Bangs on data constructor arguments]
Consider
  data T = MkT !Int {-# UNPACK #-} !Int Bool

When compiling the module, GHC will decide how to represent
MkT, depending on the optimisation level, and settings of
flags like -funbox-small-strict-fields.

Terminology:
  * HsSrcBang:  What the user wrote
                Constructors: HsNoBang, HsUserBang

  * HsImplBang: What GHC decided
                Constructors: HsNoBang, HsStrict, HsUnpack

* If T was defined in this module, MkT's dcSrcBangs field
  records the [HsSrcBang] of what the user wrote; in the example
    [ HsSrcBang Nothing True
    , HsSrcBang (Just True) True
    , HsNoBang]

* However, if T was defined in an imported module, MkT's dcSrcBangs
  field gives the [HsImplBang] recording the decisions of the
  defining module.  The importing module must follow those decisions,
  regardless of the flag settings in the importing module.

* The dcr_bangs field of the dcRep field records the [HsImplBang]
  If T was defined in this module, Without -O the dcr_bangs might be
    [HsStrict, HsStrict, HsNoBang]
  With -O it might be
    [HsStrict, HsUnpack, HsNoBang]
  With -funbox-small-strict-fields it might be
    [HsUnpack, HsUnpack, HsNoBang]