GHC with cabal-install

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Fri Feb 27 01:29:25 UTC 2015

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015, Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
>> I can't provide any guidance on what GHC might do, but I can from what
>> other distributions have done. On both my Debian and Gentoo systems,
>> there is a cabal-install package that is as easy to install as
>> ghc. Perhaps CentOS could provide a similar package. I see that Fedora
>> has a cabal-install package as well. Perhaps that could be added to
>> epel or you could build it yourself for CentOS.
>
> In my CentOS 7:
>
> % yum search cabal
> No matches found
> % yum provides cabal
> No matches found
>
> Anyway, I would like to know reasons why the GHC binary package does
> not provide the cabal command.

Ah, yes, I have no idea. This may help people get off the ground quicker.
Would the Haskell Platform get you what you need?
https://www.haskell.org/platform/linux.html

You also may be interested in checking out EPEL (Fedora packages built for
the Enterprise Linux family), which is where I got my Haskell (an other
missing packages) from. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

It is too bad that the Haskell Platform wasn't popular enough to make it
into the base OS.

Best,
Jack