GHC with cabal-install

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Thu Feb 26 12:54:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To my experience, it is easy to install GHC to Linux such as
> CentOS. But it is hard to install cabal-install after that.
>
> Are there any reasons to not include cabal-install in GHC binary
> packages?
>
> GHC provides Cabal library. Why not cabal-install?
>
> --Kazu

Kazu,

I can't provide any guidance on what GHC might do, but I can from what
other distributions have done. On both my Debian and Gentoo systems, there
is a cabal-install package that is as easy to install as ghc. Perhaps
CentOS could provide a similar package. I see that Fedora has a
cabal-install package as well. Perhaps that could be added to epel or you
could build it yourself for CentOS.

Best,
Jack