Arrow Development

Thomas Bereknyei tomberek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 14:52:51 UTC 2015

Using RULES to simplify arrows in conjunction with proc-do notation doesn't
seem feasible. (If i'm wrong, please tell me). The desugarer seems to use
lambdas that can't be captured by RULES:

        (\ ds_d9Aj ->
            let! { (a_a851, b_a852) ~ _ <- ds_d9Aj } in
            ((a_a851, b_a852), ())))
     or
            (\ ds_d9Ai -> let! { (ds_d9Ag, _) ~ _ <- ds_d9Ai } in ds_d9Ag))
or
                  (\ ds_d9Ab ->
                     let! { (a_a851, b_a852) ~ _ <- ds_d9Ab } in
                     (((a_a851, b_a852), ()), ())))

The constant shuffling of the tuples in comparison to the point-free arrow
style also seems to make it harder to optimize. This change [1] is stalled
at the moment and I'm also not sure how much it would help. Would using
named functions allow one to use RULES? On the other hand, how can we
obtain a better result without the tuple overhead? Does proc notation
require it and can we obtain a better translation of proc to a point-free
style?

[1](https://phabricator.haskell.org/D72)