MAC builds of 7.8.4 and 7.10.1 RC2

George Colpitts george.colpitts at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 15:40:42 UTC 2015

I am on 10.10.2 and so far it works. I will do more testing this evening.

Issues

   - With this version I still see bug
   https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/10053. Do you see this on your
   machine?
   - As I've noted in https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/9586 I don't
   think this ticket (BPP/FTP proposal) should be closed as it says "We are
   currently constructing a poll and summaries of two possible plans of action
   that will go out in the next day or so. Based on the results of that poll,
   which will likely run until the 28th  or so, to give folks a couple of
   weeks to respond, Simon Peyton Jones and Simon Marlow will come to a
   decision on how we are going to proceed for 7.10." But this issue doesn't
   show on ​https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.10.1and
   since the issue still appears to be open  the referenced Status page
   doesn't give an indication of the true status of the release. Changing the
   status of this ticket to open would make the 7.10.1 Status page more
   accurate wrt where we are on 7.10.1
   - Is there a preferred compiler to be used, i.e. Apple gcc or gnu gcc?
   If the former perhaps the installation instructions should suggest
   something like "export PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH" ?
   - It might be good to document how to remove previous versions of RC2. I
   did the following:
      -  rm -fr /usr/local/lib/ghc-7.10.0.20150123/package.conf.d
      - bash-3.2$ rm -fr
      /Users/gcolpitts/.ghc/x86_64-darwin-7.10.0.20150123/package.conf.d
      - bash-3.2$ rm -fr /usr/local/lib/ghc*
      - bash-3.2$ rm -fr /usr/local/bin/ghc*
   - I wanted to install in /usr/local/bin and didn't follow your
   instructions exactly. After unzipping and changing into the directory I did
   the following
      - export PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH
      - ./configure
      - make install