Partial type sigs

Thomas Winant Thomas.Winant at cs.kuleuven.be
Fri Feb 6 09:34:23 UTC 2015

What Dominique said is right, and it is also the way it is actually
implemented.

On 2015-02-05 22:30, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:
> Oh gosh you are absolutely right.  Ordinary, lexically scoped type
> variables only scope over the RHS of the relevant binding, not the
> body of the let.  I was completely wrong about that.
>
> In which case my objection is much milder:
> - the inconsistency of treatment wrt ordinary type variables
>    (which require a forall; and yes, you can't give a forall for
> wildcards)

True. It is understandable that is surprising that enabling an extension
that doesn't have wildcards (or anything similar) in its name affects
the behaviour of wildcards.

> - the lack of documentation

I will take care of this. It is already on the wiki page, but it is
indeed missing from the user manual.

> The system would be simpler without this.  So, is it really important?
>  If so, we could add it later.

I'm not so sure it would make things much simpler. Wildcards still need
to be stored in the TcSigInfo because we need to emit insoluble hole
constraints for them. We wouldn't need to bring them in scope or check
whether they're already in scope in a couple of places, but to me, that
doesn't seem like a good reason.

If we were to remove this behaviour, and add it back later, I suppose
something would have to be changed by then, but what? A forall-construct
for wildcards? I do believe this behaviour is useful, we would lose
expressiveness if we were to remove it.

Note that we don't have the same problem with backwards compatibility
that ScopedTypeVariables had, that requires the user to explicitly
indicate with a forall which type variables to lexically scope to avoid
breaking existing programs. We might as well make named wildcards
lexically scoped by default, not even opt-out (as was the case in my
initial proposal).

About using a Maybe for sig_id to fix 10045: I tried it out, and your
solution does indeed fix it. In order for TcSigInfo to still implement
NamedThing, I used an 'Either Name TcId' instead of a 'Maybe TcId'. Do
you prefer a separate data type for this instead of an Either? (Please
come up with a good name for it in that case :)

Unfortunately, some of my tests started failing, so I'll post something
on Phabricator as soon as I have worked out the kinks.

Cheers,
Thomas