The GHC 8.0 feature freeze is coming

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Dec 3 13:50:26 UTC 2015

Luite Stegeman <stegeman at gmail.com> writes:

> Is Simon's remote GHCi patch planned to go in before the fork? I'm still
> working on upgrading GHCJS to work with the master branch, but I haven't
> quite finished yet. This change would clearly require some restructuring of
> GHCJSi and Template Haskell in GHCJS, and I'm not sure if a week is enough
> to test the changes. Also the recent removal of boot file merging
> reintroduces a problem with that I'm not sure can be fixed without adding a
> new hook.

Simon, what do you think about this?

I'm a bit worried that this patch is quite late and breaks users like
Luite. Nevertheless, I am willing to hear arguments for merging.

> What's the policy on adding hooks or GHC API tweaks after the freeze?

We'll need to work that out when we get to that point. It largely
depends upon how confined and "safe" a change appears to be. That being
said, given how much other churn has happened for this release, I don't
think we want to be sloppy with merge discipline this time around.

Austin, what do you think?

Cheers,

- Ben