Installing ghc-7.10.2 linux binary distro on SuSE

Levent Erkok erkokl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 20:41:46 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I've been having a lot of trouble installing the binary-distro's on a SuSE
machine. Unfortunately, I don't have root privileges and thus my options
are rather limited.

The problem seem to boil down to the use of the function
pthread_setname_np. It appears the problem was noted before, and Simon
Marlow added a corresponding configure check for platforms that do not have
this function. See here:
https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2014-October/006707.html

Alas, none of the binary distributions listed on
https://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_7_10_2#binaries seem to be built
against a system that does not have this function. So, I was unable to
install 7.10.2 successfully.

Essentially, I'm looking for a binary distro on SuSE, or with a libc that
doesn't have the GNU extensions such as pthread_setname_np; if anyone would
be kind enough to put out such a binary distro, that'd really be
appreciated.

(Yes, I tried building from the source; but in the corporate environment
with so many things controlled, that did not go very far.)

Thanks,

-Levent.