Strange Changelog.md formatting on Hackage

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 10:04:04 UTC 2015

> Dear Sven,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 05.08.2015, 16:57 +0200 schrieb Sven Panne:
> > The formatting of
> > https://hackage.haskell.org/package/StateVar-1.1.0.1/changelog is
> > garbled, while the corresponding GitHub page
> > https://github.com/haskell-opengl/StateVar/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md l
> > ooks OK. Can somebody give me a hint why this happens?
> > https://hackage.haskell.org/package/lens-4.12.3/changelog e.g. looks
> > nice, but the markdown seems to be similar.
>
> one difference is that StateVar’s changelog has CRLF-terminated lines,
> while lenses’ does not. This is likely a bug in hackage-server, you
> might want to open a issue there.

That's a likely explanation, because I did the 'cabal sdist' on Windows.
It's a bit funny that nobody noticed that so far, Windows seems to be
highly under-represented for Haskell developers compared to Linux/Mac (I
regularly switch). :-/ I've opened
https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/issues/402, I wasn't even aware
of that GitHub project.

> Also, it is technically off-topic on ghc-dev; haskell-cafe might have
> been more suited for this question.

Granted, but to me the distinction between
haskell/haskell-cafe/ghc-users/ghc-dev is always a bit blurry and IMHO
there are too many fragmented lists, especially given that more and more
tools are involved in the Haskell ecosystem, so this will get worse. But
that's just my personal view.... :-)