API Annotations and 7.10.2

Alan & Kim Zimmerman alan.zimm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 14:02:24 UTC 2015

As you can see in the report below, there are a LOT of patches related to
API Annotations.
I am beginning to have difficulty keeping them up to date, as master moves
ahead.

I would like to request that as many of these as possible be merged into
master sooner rather than later, subject to review approval. There can then
be a secondary process to evaluate which of them actually belong in 7.10.2.

If it would simplify things, I can collapse some of these into a mega patch.

Regards
  Alan

Report follows ....
This is the current state of the patches proposed for 7.10.2

Landed in ghc-7.10 (thank you)
   #10207   D803
   #10214   D806

Landed in master but not ghc-7.10 (also thank you)
    #10209  D813
    #10256  D818
    #10254  D822
    #10255  D823
    #10277  D829

Patches available
    #10269  D832
    #10299  D840  *
    #10268  D825  *
    #10278  D833  *
    #10307  D842  *
    #10309  D848  *
    #10280  D834
    #10287  D837
    #10312  D846
    #10354/#10315  D868
    #10357  D869
    #10358  D873

The ones marked with * form a dependent chain of merges

Moved from 7.10.2 to 7.12
  #10250 D815

The proposed patches all make minor changes to the Parser / RdrHsSyn, and
do not affect the AST or Haddock, nor change the operation of the compiler.

The one with the largest impact is D840, which corrects a conflict in the
parser and now generates the correct type for '[] (`HsExplicitListTy`
rather than `HsTyVar').

The merge process to produce
https://github.com/alanz/ghc/tree/api-annotations is

--------------------------- (2015-04-26)
git checkout api-annotations
git reset --hard master
arc patch --nobranch D832 (cd libraries/Cabal && git checkout
bda1ce6b757cdaca93f2eba4e1906a4658719537)
                           to revert to the master libraries/Cabal
submodule change)
arc patch --nobranch D840
arc patch --nobranch D825 (manual fixup)
arc patch --nobranch D833 (manual fixup)
arc patch --nobranch D842 (manual fixup)
arc patch --nobranch D848 (manual fixup)
arc patch --nobranch D834 (manual fixup)
arc patch --nobranch D837 (manual fixup)
arc patch --nobranch D846 (manual fixup)
arc patch --nobranch D868 (manual fixup)
arc patch --nobranch D869
arc patch --nobranch D873 (manual fixup)