Building ghc on Windows with msys2

Thomas Miedema thomasmiedema at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 09:40:24 UTC 2014

> > 3. Why is ghc-tarballs a git repository? That does not seem very wise.
>> [...]
>> > Could we have a stable folder under haskell.org/ to put the files in,
>> > make sure that they never go away, and just wget/curl them from there?
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.ghc.devel/4883/focus=4887
>>

> Hmm, that was a while ago. Whom should I contact to get the files deployed
> under haskell.org?

Here's a different solution to the 'big binary blobs' problem:

* Keep the ghc-tarballs git repository, and add it as a submodule
* Make sure it doesn't get cloned by default
git config -f .gitmodules submodule.ghc-tarballs.update none
* Windows developers run (after initial clone --recursive of the ghc
repository, one time):
git config submodule.ghc-tarballs.update checkout
git submodule update --depth=1
* After that, windows developers run the normal:
git submodule update

The advantages are:
* only the most recent ghc-tarballs commit gets cloned initially
* subsequent 'git submodule update' runs will make sure always the most
recent version of ghc-tarballs is available
* full history of ghc-tarballs is tracked, easier bisecting
* no extra scripts needed

I don't know how much space overhead git adds. wget-ting just the files
themselves might still be faster.