Random infrastructure requests, questions and suggestions

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Mon Sep 15 13:22:11 UTC 2014

OK, so we discussed this a bit on IRC this morning, so I'm going to
continue the discussion here for people to raise some inputs,
particularly for #1:

1. I think this would be OK, but I'm rather neutral. Herbert is
concerned I think about the proliferation of fields for our tickets,
but I think this is reasonable. Would anyone else want this? It's easy
to add, at least.

2. I don't think we actually came to a conclusion on whether this is doable.

3. No, there aren't tooltips I'm afraid. I'm afraid navigating the UI
is a bit trial and error sometimes, but I'd like to know what problems
you had.

4. I think this is a minor bug we can solve by just rescanning the
repository information from ghc.git.

5. Long term, I think Phabricator has some goals to try and do this
with its Charting/Facts application, but there isn't really anything
today I'm afraid that would be easy. We could have Phabricator submit
information to Joachim's ghcspeed instance, but I'm not sure if it's
really designed to handle that kind of workflow. Maybe we should write
a custom tool after all, but right now I think this is going to take
some more thinking first.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 6:32 AM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl> wrote:
> Herbert, Austin, all,
>
> I have some questions and suggestions regarding our infrastructure:
>
> 1. Would it be possible to add a new custom field to Trac called "Wiki page"? Tickets that are
> about implementing a larger feature have an accompanying wiki page that summarizes the design. It
> would help my workflow if I could just get to that wiki page from the top of a Trac ticket.
>
> 2. I often want to get from the ticket view to index of all wiki pages. Sadly, ticket view only
> has links to previous ticket/next ticket in the top right of the page. So to get to the index of
> wiki pages I need to go to any of the wiki pages in the left panel and only then the link to wiki
> index appears in the top right of the page. Would it be possible to have link to wiki index also
> in the ticket view?
>
> 3. Is it possible to enable tooltips in Phabricator? I'm not yet all that familiar with the
> interface and having icons that have no text and no tooltip is problematic. I need to actually
> click on it to see what it does (or figure it out from the link target).
>
> 4. When browsing the code in diffusion I see that my name is not linked to my phabricator account,
> for example here:
>
> https://phabricator.haskell.org/diffusion/GHC/browse/master/compiler/cmm/
>
> Why is that happening?
>
> 5. I was thinking that perhaps harbormaster could also measure performance changes resulting from
> a patch, eg. by running nofib. I'm not sure if that's easy to implement or not and whether we
> have enough computing power to do that but I thought it's worth sharing that idea.
>
> Janek

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant