GHC Weekly News - 10/24/2014

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Thu Oct 30 16:16:48 UTC 2014

Yes, it is orthogonal to any effort for a NCG for ARMv7 or ARMv8.

Note that ARM is a platform that would particularly benefit from this:
right now, building GHC on ARM is a bit... er, troublesome. There are
a lot of LLVM versions that don't work, or are patched by maintainers
(making it impossible to know what might work or not), or have simply
never been tested depending on the distro. I've had quite my share of
problems trying to get GHC/ARM to build on ARM/Linux, due to all kinds
of incompatibilities or bugs in the code generator for whatever verson
I was using.

I agree that for upstreams (Debian, Fedora, etc) the proposition is a
bit scary perhaps. But I think the significant number of advantages
outweigh the disadvantages quite handily, and as we go forward, I
still think it will be the only truly maintainable solution, at least
in the forseeable future.

I am also of course more than willing to help upstreams adapt to this
(for example, should Debian or Fedora wish to package their own LLVM,
I'd be more than willing to help identify a version that works and we
could give to users).

FWIW, I'm aiming for not requiring any extra patches to LLVM. I'd
prefer using a stable version, and any bugs we find should go
upstream.( GHC requiring extra LLVM patches would be a possibility,
but one of the last things we'd want possibly due to extra
complication.)

--
Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant