Understanding core2core optimisation pipeline

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 15:56:36 UTC 2014

I implemented -flate-dmd-anal last year

Here's some outdated notes about my initial implementation. I share it in
order to indicate what thoughts were in my mind at the time (eg re
motivation).

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Frisby2013Q1#LateStrictnessWW

Aha! More up-to-date info here, including links to some of the older,
motivating tickets.

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/LateDmd

Also, I now suspect this pass is risky: I think it may enter unused
arguments. I realize I didn't understand that stuff well enough at the
time. This definitely deserves some attention if people are using the flag.

To answer your question directly: I do not recall explicitly considering
single-entry thunks when implementing -flate-dmd-anal.

HTH.