Understanding core2core optimisation pipeline

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Thu Oct 30 14:15:52 UTC 2014

I'm resurrecting this 3-month old thread as I have some more questions about cardinality analysis.

1. I'm still a bit confused about terminology. Demand analysis, strictness analysis, cardinality
analysis - do these three terms mean exactly the same thing? If no, then what are the
differences?

2. First pass of full laziness is followed by floating in. At that stage we have not yet run the
demand analysis and yet the code that does the floating-in checks whether a binder is one-shot
(FloatIn.okToFloatInside called by FloatIn.fiExpr AnnLam case). This suggests that cardinality
analysis is done earlier (but when?) and that demand analysis is not the same thing as
cardinality analysis.

3. Does demand analyser perform any transformations? Or does it only annotate Core with demand
information that can be used by subsequent passes?

4. BasicTypes module defines:

data OneShotInfo = NoOneShotInfo -- ^ No information
                 | ProbOneShot   -- ^ The lambda is probably applied at most once
                 | OneShotLam    -- ^ The lambda is applied at most once.

Do I understand correctly that `NoOneShotInfo` really means no information,
ie. a binding annotated with this might in fact be one shot? If so, then do we
have means of saying that a binding is certainly not a one-shot binding?

5. What is the purpose of SetLevels.lvlMFE function?

Janek