Automating GHC build for Windows

Gintautas Miliauskas gintautas at miliauskas.lt
Sun Oct 26 17:17:32 UTC 2014

Hi Páli,

that error is reminiscent of issues when trying to move a file that is open
(and implicitly locked) by another process. I have seen some sporadic
issues like that in the build unfortunately (never tracked them down to the
root cause though), Maybe it's something silly like one process not having
enough time to clean up and close the file before the next command tries to
move it? I'd add a sleep before the mv and see if that helps. Does the
build proceed if you try "make" without cleaning the repository, or does it
hang again at the same spot?

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Páli Gábor János <pali.gabor at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > As well as that, Gabor's bots
> > (at http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/builders) also build on Windows.
>
> Unfortunately, my builders are still suffering from the sudden
> breakage induced by a Cabal library update on September 24 [1].  That
> is, they are unable to complete the build due to some ghc-cabal
> failure right after bootstrapping [2].  As a result, I basically
> suspended the builders until I could do something with this.  Yes, I
> have just checked it, the situation is still the same.
>
> Curiously, I do not know about others who are experiencing the same
> problem, however, the revisions before the referenced commit (mostly)
> build just fine.
>
> As of yet, I have not had the time and chance to even attempt to fix
> this.   I have already answered Herbert the version of the build
> environment (Windows 7 SP1, MinGW from July 4 (32 bit) and February 16
> (64 bit), with GHC 7.6.3) -- I do not even know if that was considered
> old or problematic.  I am not also sure if the developers involved in
> the aforementioned change are aware of this issue and what their
> opinion on this is.  I admit that I have not submitted a ticket on
> this, perhaps I shall.
>
> Probably I shall also experiment with moving to a newer version of the
> toolchain per the recently revamped Windows build instructions in the
> meantime.
>
> [1]
> http://git.haskell.org/ghc.git/commit/4b648be19c75e6c6a8e6f9f93fa12c7a4176f0ae
> [2] http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/builders/windows-x86-head/56/10.html