Avoiding the hazards of orphan instances without dependency problems

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 17:22:36 UTC 2014

Perhaps you misunderstood my proposal if you think it would prevent anyone
else from defining instances of those classes?  Part of the proposal was
also adding support to the compiler to allow for a multiple files to use a
single module name.  That may be a larger technical challenge, but I think
it's achievable.

I think one key difference is that my proposal puts the onus on class
implementors, and David's puts the onus on datatype implementors, so they
certainly are complementary and could co-exist.