Avoiding the hazards of orphan instances without dependency problems

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:11:13 UTC 2014

As I said before, it still doesn't solve the problem I'm trying to solve.
Look at a package like criterion, for example. criterion depends on aeson.
Why? Because statistics depends on it. Why? Because statistics wants a
couple types it defines to be instances of classes defined in aeson. John
Lato's proposal would require the pragma to appear in the relevant aeson
module, and would prevent *anyone* else from defining instances of those
classes. With my proposal, statistics would be able to declare

{-# InstanceIn Statistics.AesonInstances AesonModule.AesonClass
StatisticsType #-}

Then it would split the Statistics.AesonInstances module off into a
statistics-aeson package and accomplish its objective without stepping on
anyone else. We'd get a lot more (mostly tiny) packages, but in exchange
the dependencies would get much thinner.