Request: Phab Differentials should include road maps

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Fri Oct 17 16:32:34 UTC 2014

Yes, I think what Richard wants is point #4 out of your list Simon:
how you might follow the patch implementing it. I think this is a good
idea, actually, and would help digest some patches more quickly.

Richard, I just had a talk with Phabricator upstream about this, and I
think this is certainly doable and can be added to our list of
extensions.

Here's how I would imagine what it would look like: Below the
'Summary' field, there is the 'Test Plan' field (as in D344). We can
add another field, 'Patch Roadmap', that appears the same way (i.e. a
bulk textedit form) and appears in the same area as well. How does
that sound?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Simon Peyton Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I frequently find myself asking for a different kind of road map: a wiki page saying
> - what is the problem we are trying to solve
> - what is the general approach for solving it
> - what is the specification for what a GHC user (or maybe a GHC API client,
>   depending) would see?
> - what is a road map for how the implementation is structured.
>
> We often have these wiki pages but not always.  Simply reviewing a big blob of source-code diffs and trying to reconstruct the above four points is not much fun!  Moreover the act of writing them can be fantastically illuminating.  The StaticPtr stuff is a case in point.
>
> Simon

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant