Tentative high-level plans for 7.10.1

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 06:59:40 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-08 at 02:13:01 +0200, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> the checkout process for the 7.8 branch is a bit involved (and NB: you
> really want to use a different tree than one for working on head, the
> checkout process is different
> )
>
> $ git clone -b ghc-7.8 git://git.haskell.org/ghc.git ghc-7.8TREE
> $ cd ghc-7.8TREE/
> $ ./sync-all   get -b ghc-7.8
>
> (theres no need for a lot of this with HEAD)

Just to clarify/remind why this is needed:

The GHC 7.8 branch was not converted to a proper submodule-only scheme
like GHC HEAD was.  Unless we keep maintaining GHC 7.8 for longer than a
7.8.4 release, this irregularity will become less of a concern, as the
stable GHC 7.10 branch will be switchable to/from later branches such as
GHC 7.12/HEAD w/o requiring a separately cloned tree.

However, should GHC 7.8.x turn out to become a LTS-ishly maintained
branch, we may want to consider converting it to a similiar Git
structure as GHC HEAD currently is, to avoid having to keep two
different sets of instructions on the GHC Wiki for how to work on GHC
7.8 vs working on GHC HEAD/7.10 and later.

Cheers,
  hvr