GitHub pull requests

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Oct 5 10:56:28 UTC 2014

Hi,

we already have the problem with some people submitting diffs on trac,
other submitting git patches on trac or linking to their private fork
somewhere to pull from, and others using Phabricator. And, at least as
far as I can tell from here, it doesn’t seem to be a big deal.

So (warning: surprisingly simple solution ahead) we could consider the
option of simply accepting Github pull requests!

I think it could work well ok if we either
 * somehow communicate that people should open a trac ticket as well, if
   they want to make sure their contribution is handled in a timely
   manner, or (or and)
 * someone of us looks after PR and creates trac tickets as needed.

The advantage is clear: Low entry barrier for new contributors and, as
Michael says, for very small contributions (documentation typo fixes or
so).

The downside is that we have more tools to work with. This either means
that we all get to know the GitHub frontend (which is quite intuitive,
and at least reading diffs and commenting should be possible for all
without a lot of learning), or that we simply let those developers who
are familiar with GitHub handle it.

I think the advantage could outweigh the downside and it’s worth a try.
We don’t even have to advocate it aggressively, just remove the „Do not
submit PRs“ notice on the repo and see what happens.

(The problem with the ticket numbers remain, unfortunately.)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner