[commit: ghc] master: Be consistent with placement of Safe Haskell mode at top of file (2a523eb)

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Fri Nov 21 21:30:16 UTC 2014

Hello David,

On 2014-11-21 at 22:03:23 +0100, git-4Dsf34iY/NkouOHNgZ69ag at public.gmane.org wrote:

[...]

> commit 2a523ebf091478aea39deef28073320bed628434
> Author: David Terei <code-A0igW9AEfH2M2ScGVVA7yQ at public.gmane.org>
> Date:   Wed Nov 19 18:29:51 2014 -0800
>
>     Be consistent with placement of Safe Haskell mode at top of file

Why is that necessary?

Fwiw, I'm afraid that's gonna be hard to retain; it's more
obvious/easier to keep all LANGUAGE pragmas in alphabetic order (I've
probably done that a couple of times in `base` deliberately myself) than
to introduce such an artificial ordering on the language pragmas.

The reason is, you can instruct an editor to select the first paragraph
which comprises the block of one-per-line language-pragmas is, and have
it sorted it alphabetically. That's just a few keystrokes. But it's
rather difficult to teach the editor to use an ordering relation other
than the usual alphabetic/lexicographic ordering.

Cheers,
  hvr