GHC filepath sync

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 18:14:11 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-21 at 18:13:16 +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> As part of the forthcoming GHC release, I assume the filepath library
> will be sync'd to the latest version in the GitHub repo? When will
> that sync happen?

We'll probably try to sync up w/ filepath's current master-tip for the
upcoming freeze to make sure it still builds. And then shortly before
the first GHC 7.10.1 RC is cut sometime around mid-december (if nothing
changes).

> Who will do the sync?

It'll be probably me, or Austin

> When is the last time I can make changes that go into GHC 7.10?

*Ideally* we'd want to have the libraries in a frozen RC-ish state
before we cut the GHC 7.10.1 RC

> What should I be doing to help? As this is my first time, any details
> would be most appreciated.

If you can time it so that `filepath` is in a releasable state (i.e. you
don't need to actually upload it to Hackage) shortly before the first
RC, it'd be great.

Then, if during the public GHC 7.10.1 RC test-phase serious issues with
the filepath package are found, it would very desirable for those to be
fixed upstream in `filepath` in a timely manner in order to ship the
final GHC 7.10.1 with a final bug-free `filepath` package.

...does that make any sense so far? :-)

Cheers,
  hvr