small `arc` victory -- commit message not changed

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 09:22:14 UTC 2014

I've never used --head, and it's not even documented in the help for the
version of arc I have (which ought to be no more than a couple of months
old).  Maybe it's a new feature.

So I'm hesitant to recommend this workflow.  I think the biggest problem
in your description is the bit where you "de-Phabbed" the commit
message, which meant that you had to tell Phabricator exactly which diff
you wanted to update later.

When I have some time I'll write up the workflow I use for multiple
dependent patches on the wiki.  But basically it amounts to

  - one Phab diff per git commit
  - use 'git rebase -i' to amend individual commits in the stack
  - use 'arc patch Dnnn && arc land' to land

I always avoid uploading multiple commits as a single diff to
Phabricator, because it

  - make reviewing harder
  - concatenates the commit messages
  - is just confusing.

I don't know why Phab wants to do it this way, but you can just avoid it
by using one diff per commit.  Depending on how your Phab config is set
up this might be the default, or you might have to say "arc diff HEAD^"
every time.