7.10 STABLE freeze date

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Fri Nov 7 21:35:38 UTC 2014

Hi all,

After some deliberation, we've decided that the STABLE freeze for 7.10
will happen in approximately two weeks, on November 21st. We're hoping
to stick to this date closely, but do read below.

This is perhaps a short time to freeze, but right now, we've only got
a couple things we're planning on focusing on for the next few weeks.
And these are really the major things we're waiting for. See below:

 - https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.10.1

These are just:

 - D155, LLVM 3.5 compatibility,
 - D396 and D169, DWARF/source code note work. These are mostly in me
and Simon's court to do another review round, but I think will be OK
to get them in on time.
 - D168, Partial type signatures. The ball is in Simon's court on this
one, but he's had several good rounds of discussion with Thomas etc
from what I understand.

Based on our discussions earlier this week, I think these all will
make it just in time for the freeze.

Nota bene: if there is *any* delay, it will be for these, as we picked
them as the highest priority in our own views. It is unlikely we will
delay any so people can sneak in a few other things. So, if you want
something of yours in, you better get me, Simon & Simon, Herbert,
etc's attention pronto! That way we'll have time to get it in first.

To make things easier, we'll also be pushing the lhs->hs conversion
pretty soon so cherry picking/merges are easier, and do some other
cleanups.

And outside of that, we've still been having a healthy flow of bug
fixes falling into the tree, which is great. So if you're just
bugfixing, please keep doing so - we'll be pulling bugfixes into the
tree continuously.

We will also be pulling in submodule/library updates continuously,
like we did for the 7.8 branch.

Let me know if you have questions, objections, or really really really
want something - but I won't be as nice as last time I'm afraid. ;)

--
Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant