Can't compile GHC-7.8.3 from git, fails on haskell98 library

Mikolaj Konarski mikolaj at well-typed.com
Wed Nov 5 17:25:33 UTC 2014

> Starting with GHC 7.8.x, fingerprints are written into
> annotated & gpg-signed release tags:
>
>   http://git.haskell.org/ghc.git/tag/refs/tags/ghc-7.8.3-release
>
> That way you're able to restore via the fingerprint for a given release
> via:
>
>  ./utils/fingerprint/fingerprint.py restore -f <(git show ghc-7.8.3-release | grep -F '|')
>
> I'm just surprised I couldn't find that described anywhere in the wiki,
> I was sure it was written down somewhere...

Oh, pretty useful. I also couldn't find it on the wiki and this page

    https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/GitRepoReorganization

even claims it's going to be obsolete (starting with 7.10?).

Google shows that something related was mentioned in

    https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/GettingTheSources?version=93

but the new version of the page missed that info.

This emails refers to the no-longer available info on the wiki, too:

    https://www.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2014-January/003930.html

I wonder what happened and which info is meaningful only
for GHC < 7.8 or even ==7.8 and which parts make sense
for 7.10 as well.

Cheers,
Mikolaj