GHC status report

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu May 1 14:27:16 UTC 2014

Figured I'd make one case for dynamic linking:

https://github.com/ekmett/rounded

Dynamic linking is finally enabling us to build a version of MPFR bindings
for Haskell for scientific/high precision computing with 7.8. I would
really hate to lose it after all of these years trying to get it work, as I
have a rather large edifice being built atop that platform. We tried and
failed due to limitations of the old linker for almost 3 years.

That said, -dynamic-too seems to cause me all sorts of problems elsewhere.
^C'ing out of a build and restarting it will often make a .o but lose the
.dyn_o, leading to GHC + cabal getting confused and refusing to build until
I clean. This hits me several times a day.

-Edward