GHC status report

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu May 1 07:29:17 UTC 2014

| Dynamic linking has been a huge headache in GHC, and it's not clear that
| it's an overall improvement compared with the static linker.  Now that
| 7.8 is out of the way, it's time to have a conversation about whether we
| want to do dynamic linking again for 7.10, or revert to static linking.

I echo this. Dynamic linking has had many un-anticipated costs and it is still very far from sorted out.  It originally felt like a Fantastic Idea to give up our own linker and adopt the system linker, but it now feels to me like a black hole, endlessly sucking effort and increasing complexity.

My viewpoint is highly un-informed about details; I just watch the traffic going by.  And of course it does have benefits that doubtless generate less traffic.

Simon