GHC 7.8 release

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 12 15:04:05 UTC 2014

Friends
The status of the GHC 7.8 release is here https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8/RC2.
Alas we are currently stalled on #8870, #8834: we are getting seg-faults on Windows.  (For example, on my laptop, the stage2 compiler seg-faults when compiling some (but not all) files.  Although few people develop GHC on Windows, many people *use* GHC on Windows, so we can't really release in this state.
We need help!  Austin is trying, but it's all working on his Windows build.   He's trying to get more machines to see if he can reproduce the failure there.
Does anyone feel able to help?  Even git-bisecting to find the offending commit would be a huge help.  In principle I can do that (at two hours per bisection) but I was defeated by an out-of-sync Haddock.  I need to know how to remove Haddock from the build altogether.  But others are far more skilled than me.
On #8834 Simon M speculates that we may have the callee-saves register wrong on Win64.  Does anyone feel up to looking into that?
Until we find what's going on, 7.8 is stalled.
Thanks!