Building GHC for performance testing

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 10:01:36 UTC 2014

On 06/03/14 09:50, Johan Tibell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to set up a performance build bot for GHC, but before I can do
> that I need a script that reliably builds GHC and runs nofib. Do we have
> such a script? Here's a strawman proposal for one:
>
>     cabal install happy alex
>     git clone git://git.haskell.org/ghc.git
>     cd ghc
>     ./sync-all --nofib get
>     perl boot
>     ./configure
>     make
>     cd nofib
>     make clean
>     make boot
>     make -k mode=slow
>
> Questions:
>
>  * Does this look sensible?
>  * Is there a way to only build and run a subset of the benchmarks?
>  * Are there any tweaks to mk/build.mk we can do to make the build faster
> without compromising the results?
>  * Is there a way to do this in a cheap throwaway VM like travis-ci does?
> Could such a VM already provide GHC and the required libs to make the whole
> thing hermetic?

I think this ties in with the whole issue of not having nightlies/test
bots running. I think if the infrastructure for that was in place then
this would simply be a part of the functionality.

re: subset of benchmarks, I believe they are just regular tests, in
which case you can explicitly pass in which test cases should be ran.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Mateusz K.