ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.8.1 Release Candidate 2

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 14:57:27 UTC 2014

It looks like the Mac builds are specific to the version of Mac OS X they
were compiled on. This is very unfortunate, as now we'll have to produce at
least four variants of HP for each.

The only thing holding back a build on either Maverricks or Mountain Lion
(10.9 and 10.8) from working on 10.7 ~ 10.9 is the set of flags passed to
the c compiler. On a machine with only clang, these need three extra flags.

I had thought that there was a patch that allowed GCC to dynamically
determine if it was working with clang, and if so, pass the extra flags. It
didn't look like that patch made it in. I seem to have lost track of who
did this patch and it's status. Carter: do you remember?

For the platform, I might be able to patch around this with a variant of my
ghc-clang-wrapper script - beefing it up to remove those flags if not clang.

- Mark
​