Phabricator for patches and code review

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Tue Jun 24 17:17:36 UTC 2014

Personally I don't particularly mind the fact Phabricator squashes
things and adds onto the URL. For one it means we can always refer to
the differential revision solely by the commit itself, as opposed to
digging up some history. But also, Phab generally asks you to put some
useful information in there. I've found myself to be much more
explicit and verbose when filling out Phab commits than most other
tools, and meaty, verbose commit messages are very useful IME.

As for squashing, there's an argument to be made, I think, that this
just requires a little practice to get comfortable with. :) For
example, I have a review called D4:

https://phabricator.haskell.org/D4

This really adds two separate things: it adds a set of flags to the
frontend, and a set of optimizations to the backend (based on the
flags). Really, this *should* be two reviews instead of one! The fact
that Phabricator wants to squash them into a single commit when
landing is a symptom of the problem, not the root problem, I think. So
while I may have to fiddle to separate the two later (not really that
hard,) I think this was more a case of me putting two unrelated things
in one review.

In fact it's very regular for GHC developers to squash commits
themselves, and I know many of us do exactly that. So I think the main
change is just having the tool embody this for us, as opposed to
always doing it manually.