HEADS-UP: diagrams does not compile with HEAD (regressions)

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 10 15:02:59 UTC 2014

I suspect that the issue is the following: GHC is inferring a type for a function that could not be written by the user, at least not without -XTypeFamilies or -XGADTs, something like
	f :: (a ~ F b) => blah blah

It's a good principle that if GHC infers a type, then it should be ok to put that type in manually.  But that means that you need -XTypeFamilies even for the inferred type.

So unless I'm misunderstanding the issue, it's not a bug but a feature.  It is a change, certainly, and one that makes GHC a bit more picky.

Can you update diagrams to include type signatures or -XGADTs/TypeFamilies?

Thanks

Simon