pushing to haddock

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 12:15:01 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-06 at 14:07:44 +0200, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:
> | Short story: you have to use ssh://git@github.com/haskell/haddock.git as
> | push-url
> |
> |   git push ssh://git@github.com/haskell/haddock.git <refspec>
> |
> | where <refspec> refers to the kind of branch-update operation you want
> | to push, like e.g. 'HEAD:master' to update the remote master branch to
> | what your current local HEAD points to.
>
> Can't I just set the push-url and then say
>
> 	git push
>
> I just did that and it appeared to work.

Yes, that'd be another way to accomplish that... Git supports many roads
leading to rome :-)

> | Once you were able to push the commits to GitHub's haddock.git repo,
> | they'll be mirrored to git.haskell.org within one minute. At which point
> | you'll be able to push the Git submodule/gitlink update to ghc.git
> | pointing to the new 'master'-tip of haddock.git (if that was your
> | question)
>
> How exactly do I do that?  That is, when I'm back in the ghc repo, I
> just stage utils/haddock along with the rest of my changes, and push?
>
> What if I did so "too early" before the mirroring happened?

The validation hook would reject your ghc.git push telling you it
couldn't find the referenced haddock.git commit (on git.haskell.org)

> Anyway, I did as above and pushed to GHC.  Would you like to just
> check that I did it right.

Everything looks perfect to me.

> It would be ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC to have these new workflows documented. Please!

I'm planning to! haddock.git was just the first repo to be migrated in
order to be able to work out the workflow a bit more isolated (as
typically only few devs push to haddock.git these days) w/o breaking
multiple repos at once :-)