pushing to haddock

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 11:56:10 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-06 at 13:47:03 +0200, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:
> I'm trying desperately to follow the instructions on
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Git/Submodules
> for how to update haddock to follow a small change to GHC.
> I've checked out the haddock master, made my patch, and want to push
> to haddock. But my push is rejected for an inscrutable reason:

Sorry, I haven't gotten to provide more guidance for haddock.git, which
is the first repo whose primary repo has been relocated to GitHub. So
you have to push via GitHub now.

Short story: you have to use ssh://git@github.com/haskell/haddock.git as
push-url

  git push ssh://git@github.com/haskell/haddock.git <refspec>

where <refspec> refers to the kind of branch-update operation you want
to push, like e.g. 'HEAD:master' to update the remote master branch to what
your current local HEAD points to.

There will be a more "guided" process as soon as I get to provide some
tooling + additional docs for that.

[...]

> What do I do now?
> Presumably once that's done I include the change to utils/haddock in my patch to HEAD, correct?
> Getting to Haddock HEAD added 12 new patches on the haddock branch so
> I suppose they'll be included too. I don't know whether that is good
> or bad.
> help!

Once you were able to push the commits to GitHub's haddock.git repo,
they'll be mirrored to git.haskell.org within one minute. At which point
you'll be able to push the Git submodule/gitlink update to ghc.git
pointing to the new 'master'-tip of haddock.git (if that was your question)