Put GHC on travis for real

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Jul 11 13:54:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 11.07.2014, 14:48 +0200 schrieb Herbert Valerio Riedel:
> So travis does a recursive clone by default? So that we can't even
> easily inject
>
>   https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Git/Submodules#AlternativeGitHubrewriterules
>
> ?
>
> If I get the docs right, you should be able to disable that and manually
> clone the submodules:
>
>   http://docs.travis-ci.com/user/build-configuration/#Git-Submodules

thanks, I’ll try that.

> > Maybe it is finally time to re-think the directory layout on
> > git.haskell.org to not use / and get rid of this problem for once and
> > all. (Maybe with symlinks on git.haskell.org the old URLs can just
> > continue to work.)
>
> TBH, I don't like the idea of symlinks, as they would break the
> assumption in the server-side scripting that a repo is only accessible
> via a single path, which I'm sure would cause all sorts of subtle issues
> and confusing situations when you forget about that.

And has a complete change or the URLs ever been considered? Now that
people shouldn’t have to use ./sync-all any more, but can use standard
tools to check out the repository, being able to clone from github
directly and without such patching of paths might be desirable.

(It wouldn’t help with cloning from any other fork, though. Seems to be
an unavoidable issue with submodules.)

Greetings,
Joachim

--