Put GHC on travis for real

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 12:48:23 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-11 at 14:12:14 +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:

[...]

> heh, fat chance. Travis is unable to check out the repository from
> github, because the submodule URL points to something invalid:
>
> Cloning into 'libraries/Cabal'...
> fatal: remote error:
>   ghc/packages/Cabal is not a valid repository name
>   Email support at github.com for help
> Clone of 'git://github.com/ghc/packages/Cabal.git' into submodule path
> 'libraries/Cabal' failed
>
> and clearly this happens before we get a chance to change them.

So travis does a recursive clone by default? So that we can't even
easily inject

  https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Git/Submodules#AlternativeGitHubrewriterules

?

If I get the docs right, you should be able to disable that and manually
clone the submodules:

  http://docs.travis-ci.com/user/build-configuration/#Git-Submodules

> Maybe it is finally time to re-think the directory layout on
> git.haskell.org to not use / and get rid of this problem for once and
> all. (Maybe with symlinks on git.haskell.org the old URLs can just
> continue to work.)

TBH, I don't like the idea of symlinks, as they would break the
assumption in the server-side scripting that a repo is only accessible
via a single path, which I'm sure would cause all sorts of subtle issues
and confusing situations when you forget about that.

Cheers,
  hvr