7.8.3 source tarball imminent

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Thu Jul 10 06:50:57 UTC 2014

Hi all,

After all the paranoia and double-checking, the source tarballs are online:

https://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.8.3/

NOTE: if the others making binary distributions wouldn't mind, could
you please also create .tar.xz's of your builds? In practice the last
time I did this, but repackaging the .bz2's into .xz's on my side took
a significant amount of time and CPU (several hours, actually, because
xz is very CPU intensive at level 9 compression). As a result, if you
all could do it, that would be nice, to help parallelize the workload
a bit.

You can create a .xz along with a .bz2 by saying:

$ make binary-dist # create bz2
$ make binary-dist TAR_COMP=xz # create xz

This will put both the .tar.bz2 and .tar.xz in the working directory
of your build tree. If you can't or don't want to take the time, I can
of course repackage them, but it would be nice.

Thanks everyone, let's get this over with...